How to get a rent guarantor when renting a property in the UK

Jun 6, 2024 by

Share Button

In partnership with Housing Hand.


Housing Hand provides a UK guarantor service to all working professionals and students who don’t have a qualified UK-based guarantor.





Do you need a rent guarantor?

One of the biggest problems tenants face when renting a property is not having a UK guarantor. This is a huge worry if you are not able to pay 6-12 months in advance to secure your property. Even if you do pay in advance, you may still need a UK guarantor. Whether you’re a student or working professional from the UK or abroad, Housing Hand can be your UK guarantor, allowing you to pay your rent monthly. Starting at just £295, the application process is simple.


International tenants, whether students or professionals under a certain income, have to provide a UK guarantor for their rent, but not everyone knows someone based in the UK who can sign on as a guarantor. International tenants who are unable to provide a UK guarantor are often required by the letting agent/landlord to pay 6 to 12 months of the rent upfront, in order to secure the property.


This is financially impossible for many, and it can also leave less bargaining power if something goes wrong in your accommodation. Housing Hand can be your guarantor leaving you to sit back, relax, and pay your rent monthly.


If you are a UK or International student, you will be asked to provide:


If you are a UK or International professional, you will be asked to provide:

  • Proof of income
  • A photo ID
  • A co-signer’s details and documents


Foto: Martin Sepion via Unsplash


Finding a guarantor for rent – further information

For students, proof of study can be any correspondence with your university, such as an acceptance letter from, or a student ID card. For working professionals, proof of income can be 3 months worth of bank statements, or a monthly payslip. Housing Hand can also accept four weekly payslips and if you have not started work yet, a copy of your working contract. For example, if the monthly rent was £500, Housing Hand would require the applicant to provide a payslip showing they earn at least £750 a month.


What is a co-signer?

A co-signer is a second point of contact for Housing Hand. They cannot be a student or move into the same property as the applicant signing the Housing Hand guarantor agreement. They are jointly liable for repaying Housing Hand should you default on your rent. In the instance you failed to pay your rent, Housing Hand would attempt to contact you and arrange a suitable repayment plan. If this is not possible, or should the agreement be broken, your co-signer would then be contacted to pay what you owe.


Housing Hand does not conduct a credit check or require a co-signer to be a home-owner or resident in the UK or Ireland. Please note, on joint and several contracts, you and your cosigner are required to repay Housing Hand for housemates nonpayments that have been made on your behalf.


What does a co-signer need to supply?

For a UK co-signer:

  • Photographic ID (passport, driver’s licence or national identification card)
  • Proof of residential address (utility bill or bank statement showing name and address less than 3 months old)
  • A National Insurance number


For an international co-signer:

  • Photographic ID (passport, driver’s licence or national identification card)
  • Proof of residential address (utility bill or bank statement with name and address less than 3 months old)


How much does the rent guarantor service cost?

Prices start from just £31 for 12 months cover, depending on the rent amount of your property. Submit a contact form to Housing Hand for a full price list.


Exact fees depends on several factors including your rent amount; you can get a free, no-obligation quote by making an application.